Slicer build in linux freezes when building simpleitk

Hi All,

I am trying to build Slicer in Ubuntu but it freezes when it’s building SimpleITK. It seems to be working all the time but it doesn’t show any progress.
I tried building it several times from the scratch but same thing happens every time.
BTW, I keep everything in the Cmake as default.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

SimpleITK takes a while to build. If you don’t see any progress for 24 hours then upload the complete build log somewhere and copy-paste the link here.

SimpleITK can also be disabled if you don’t need it, with Slicer_USE_SimpleITK=OFF.

Thank you guys,

I am still struggling building the slicer on Linux. I started building it this morning again, I will wait till tomorrow and if it doesn’t build, I will upload the build log here.

OK, I decided to turn off the simpleITK for now and also build the slicer with QT5. Now I have some errors when building CTK.
I uploaded some output and error log files here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11r_wY-wDT9yrfKJQGITR731eMxFU6YIF?usp=sharing

Any help is appreciated. It’s my first time building slicer in Linux and it is really frustrating :frowning:

Thanks,
Samira

Sorry you are running into trouble. I’m not sure what’s up but this message from the error log indicates perhaps the compiler is not installed right:

/home/samira/slicer/debug/VTKv9/Utilities/KWIML/vtkkwiml/include/kwiml/int.h:1052:1: note: in expansion of macro ‘KWIML_INT_private_VERIFY_SIGN’
KWIML_INT_private_VERIFY_SIGN(KWIML_INT_uintptr_t, KWIML_INT_uintptr_t, >);
^
c++: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report,

You might try building vtk independent of Slicer and see if you can narrow down what leads to this.

(FWIW I regularly build on unbuntu 16.04 with no problems)

Thanks Steve,

I have already built the CTK independent and it was successful. Now all the dependencies are built. Here is the error I am getting now:

c++: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-5/README.Bugs> for instructions.
Libs/MRML/Widgets/Testing/CMakeFiles/qMRMLWidgetsCxxTests.dir/build.make:1229: recipe for target 'Libs/MRML/Widgets/Testing/CMakeFiles/qMRMLWidgetsCxxTests.dir/qMRMLScalarInvariantComboBoxEventTranslatorPlayerTest1.cxx.o' failed
make[5]: *** [Libs/MRML/Widgets/Testing/CMakeFiles/qMRMLWidgetsCxxTests.dir/qMRMLScalarInvariantComboBoxEventTranslatorPlayerTest1.cxx.o] Error 4
make[5]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
[ 53%] Built target qMRMLWidgetsPlugins
In file included from /home/samira/slicer/Slicer/Libs/MRML/Widgets/Testing/qMRMLLayoutManagerWithCustomFactoryTest.cxx:23:0:
/home/samira/slicer/Slicer/Libs/MRML/Widgets/Testing/qMRMLLayoutManagerTestHelper.cxx:13:6: warning: ‘bool {anonymous}::checkViewArrangement(int, qMRMLLayoutManager*, vtkMRMLLayoutNode*, int)’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
 bool checkViewArrangement(int line, qMRMLLayoutManager* layoutManager,
      ^
[ 53%] Linking CXX shared library ../../bin/libqSlicerBaseQTGUI.so
In file included from /home/samira/slicer/Slicer/Libs/MRML/Widgets/Testing/qMRMLLayoutManagerVisibilityTest.cxx:23:0:
/home/samira/slicer/Slicer/Libs/MRML/Widgets/Testing/qMRMLLayoutManagerTestHelper.cxx:13:6: warning: ‘bool {anonymous}::checkViewArrangement(int, qMRMLLayoutManager*, vtkMRMLLayoutNode*, int)’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
      ^
In file included from /home/samira/slicer/Slicer/Libs/MRML/Widgets/Testing/qMRMLLayoutManagerTest1.cxx:23:0:
      ^
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:2626: recipe for target 'Libs/MRML/Widgets/Testing/CMakeFiles/qMRMLWidgetsCxxTests.dir/all' failed
make[4]: *** [Libs/MRML/Widgets/Testing/CMakeFiles/qMRMLWidgetsCxxTests.dir/all] Error 2
make[4]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
[ 53%] Built target qSlicerBaseQTGUI
Makefile:162: recipe for target 'all' failed
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
CMakeFiles/Slicer.dir/build.make:141: recipe for target 'Slicer-prefix/src/Slicer-stamp/Slicer-build' failed
make[2]: *** [Slicer-prefix/src/Slicer-stamp/Slicer-build] Error 2
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:101: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/Slicer.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Slicer.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:94: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

I have built the Slicer in windows million times, it’s my first time in linux and I might do something wrong that’s totally possible.
Do you still think it can be the compiler?

Samira

This may be due to running out of memory. Try to disable parallel build by running make -j1 or increase amount of physical RAM or swap size.

Yes! Thanks Andras, I disabled the parallel build and it worked :slight_smile: