Slicer fails to start on Windows with "api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing" error popup

I am trying to help a user who is unable to run the latest Slicer 5 on a windows machine due to the error " api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing". At the same time, Slicer 4 works fine.

I pointed the user to this article, but the user is reporting that it didn’t help, and the same error message shows up on Slicer startup.

Is there anything else we can suggest? I will ask that user to join the forum and provide any additional details here, as needed.

1 Like

@fedorov - I’m not seeing the links in your post, but I think you mean these two that we had discussed. To clarify, did the user confirm that they tried installing the package from the second link or did they just report that the Adobe article didn’t help them understand the issue? Also did they report what version of Windows they are running?

Ah, sorry! Here’s the exchange with the user (David). I emailed David and asked him to join the discussion. Hope he can clarify what he did shortly.

can you please look at this page and see if the suggested approach resolves the problems you showed me trying to run Slicer version 5 on your computer?

Error :api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing

Unfortunately, installing the windows update did not help: I have still the same error message.

What version of Windows is this machine? Is this an old version such as Windows 7/8.1?

What version of Slicer 4 was working on this machine?

When running Slicer 5 were there any extensions installed? Was this a factory build of Slicer or some custom app?

This thread details what appears to be the same issue

To further muddy the water, my experience is you can get this error if an unrelated statically linked dll is missing.

My suggestion would be to use a dependency walker to debug.

Hello, most of this problem is because of your computer system, I have tried three times, when I install on the win7 system will appear this error, win10 system will not.