SlicerVR in Ubuntu

Operating system: Ubuntu 20.04
Slicer version: 5.1
Expected behavior: SlicerVR module is loaded properly
Actual behavior: I can’t load SlicerVR

Hi,
I’m currently trying to build and load SlicerVR from source code in Ubuntu. The commands that I followed were the following:

1. Cloned the repo in a source directory: git clone https://github.com/KitwareMedical/SlicerVirtualReality.git .
  2. Created a build directory and configure the cmake file: cmake -DSlicer_DIR:PATH=/opt/D/Slicer-superbuild/Slicer-build ../source/
  3. Build SlicerVR: make -j8

Then I added the folder /opt/D/SlicerVR/build/inner-build/lib/Slicer-5.1/qt-loadable-modules/ to Additional Paths through the GUI. It was not working at this point; therefore, I was trying to do something similar as what is recommended for Windows here SlicerVirtualReality/DeveloperGuide.md at master · KitwareMedical/SlicerVirtualReality · GitHub (which is copy the dll files to the qt-loadable-modules\ folder). As it’s Linux, I was trying to look for *.so equivalent files. I did find an equivalent to the file (SlicerVirtualReality-binary)\OpenVR\bin\win64\openvr_api.dll but there’s no bin folder in the build directory so I haven’t been able to find an equivalent to (SlicerVirtualReality-binary)\bin\Release\vtkRenderingOpenVR-9.0.dll.
Therefore, I haven’t been able to add the module library. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

I don’t know anyone who has ever tried to use OpenVR on Linux. If you cannot find this library on Linux then probably it does not exist.

We are slowly moving to OpenXR. There is funding and the development is already in progress (maybe @adamrankin can provide more details). If you find that OpenXR is supported on Linux then you may be able to try that soon.

1 Like