SPHARM-PDM alignment

Hello, Beatriz, Martin, and others. My name is Ikhsan and I would like to ask a few things regarding SPHARM-PDM.

Firstly, I have looked at the tutorial and worked on the hippocampus example dataset. It functions properly on my laptop and I got the same output with those mentioned in the tutorial, except for the *SPHARM_procalign.vtk file which appears to be missing. My questions are:

1. How do I get the *SPHARM_procalign.vtk file? I have exactly followed the tutorial (using the hippocampus dataset provided) and tried to use my dataset as well but it doesn’t shows up.

2. Can I use the mean shape that I got from the ShapeVariationAnalyzer as a template for Rigid Procrustes alignment? Or do you have any recommendation which file should I use for the registration template?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Ikhsan

Hi Ikhsan,

Thank you for using SPHARM-PDM!

How do I get the *SPHARM_procalign.vtk file? I have exactly followed the tutorial (using the hippocampus dataset provided) and tried to use my dataset as well but it doesn’t shows up.

You will need a previously computed spharm model and to use it as registration template

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 3.01.05 PM

Can I use the mean shape that I got from the ShapeVariationAnalyzer as a template for Rigid Procrustes alignment? Or do you have any recommendation which file should I use for the registration template?

That is definitely an option, but it does not need to be.

I hope that helps!!
Thanks,

Bea

Hello Bea,

Thank you for the answer, I have now successfully generated the *procalign.vtk file.

If I may ask once again, I have read in some articles that mentioned about the scaling normalization for the head size (intracranial volume) after the rigid-body Procrustes alignment. Can I perform this step on the SPHARM-PDM module, or should I use another module on the SlicerSALT?

I am currently exploring other modules as well, but so far I couldn’t find it on the SPHARM-PDM tutorial.

Thank you once again for your response, I really appreciate it.

Best regards,
Ikhsan

Hi Ikhsan,

Great to hear that you were able to get your procrustes aligned models!

Currently we still do not have a SlicerSALT module to do procrustes alignment (with and without scaling). There is however, a C++ CLI in SPHARM-PDM that does this, it is called MeshMath..

We will definitely look into incorporating this functionality in SlicerSALT soon.
Thank you!

Bea

Hi Bea,

Thank you so much for the quick response. I will try to look deeper into MeshMath while continuing my shape analysis.

Many thanks,
Ikhsan