Which Qt should I install?

This link says Qt4, but I think Slicer now uses Qt5. Should I blindly follow the build instructions of that wiki or try installing Qt5?

I’m on macOS Sierra 10.12.6.

Hi Fernando! Transition to Qt5 is underway, but the official is still 4.8.7, and probably will be for a few more months, as not everything works yet with Qt5. If you feel advanterous, you can go ahead and build with Qt 5.9.1 :wink:

1 Like

Hi Csaba, thanks! I’ll let you know of my adventures.

1 Like

I had the same question, and needed to build with Qt5 in an attempt to reproduce a failure in the nightly.

It was not easy to find instructions how to build Slicer against Qt5 (wiki build instructions refer to Qt4), even though Qt5 is used by the dashboard.

After some searching I figured I should follow steps in this page: https://www.slicer.org/wiki/Documentation/Labs/Qt5-and-VTK8, which is what I am trying now.

Just in case someone else attempts to build with Qt5.

If you can, the latest Qt 5.10. This is was we used for testing.

That said, we there is no hard requirements … Slicer should compile with Qt 5.6 and above.

to find instructions how to build Slicer against Qt5

We didn’t get a chance to update the wiki. Help from everyone is welcome :smile:

I added the pointer to the Labs page from the build instructions wiki page. Downloading Qt5 and configuring as suggested there is working so far for me on Ubuntu 16.

1 Like