2018.10.16 Hangout

Hi,

We will be having our weekly hangout today, at 10:00 AM EST.

On the agenda will finalizing the 4.10 release, along with any other topics of interest.

Anyone is welcome to join to ask questions at https://bit.ly/slicer-googlemeet-hosted-by-kitware

Thanks !
Sam

1 Like

Notes:

• We will disable the “auto-update” attempt done at startup time. See issue 4641.

• As discussed in issue note 4550#c1612, following commit r26960 installation of extension is never happening. Query of extension metadata is the only thing happening at startup time and it is a potential cause of crash. This is now tracked by issue 4641
    • When planning Slicer 5.0, we will discuss with we want to effectively remove this feature, or implement a different approach (using background thread). See issue 4642
  • Discussed issue 4634 impacting the LandmarkRegistration extension. If multiple fiducial overlap with all but one hidden, it is not always possible to select the visible fiducial

• Which image should we feature in the release blog and associated announcement ? We were thinking about creating a gid based on part of the Pedicle screw insertion in virtual reality. @cpinter What do you think ? Is it something you could help with ? The idea would be to get something like what was done here

• Talked about RSNA taking place at the end of November. At least @lassoan, @pieper and @fedorov will be there.

• We are thinking to modernize the layout of the slicer.org website page. @jcfr will check with Kitware designer

2 Likes

Thank you for considering the latest VR improvements worthy for representing this release. If you tell me what are the criteria for the gif I’d be happy to help.

Here’s a gif we can use for visual impact. Here’s the link for background.

SlicerPRISM-clip

We could also turn part of Csaba’s movie into a gif.

BTW, showing the SlicerJupyter extension would also be great for the release announcement.

Thank you for considering the latest VR improvements worthy for representing this release

Show casing Virtual Reality is quite nice, it highlight infrastructure and performance improvement.

If you tell me what are the criteria for the gif

Roughly 400x400 px

would also be great for the release announcement

I think having these three tell a nice story:

• virtual reality
  • programmable shader
  • juptyer extension

and I am thinking to highlight these three in the blog and the announcement.

@ihnorton has set up binder, so now you can run Slicer Jupyter notebooks interactively on the web. We should definitely show this: Binder

How’s this?

The ratio is not 1:1 but I tried to size it so that the number of pixels is similar.
Let me know if there is anything to change.

That one is cool, Csaba, but it would be great to see the screw placement part too. In the current gif the right side never changes that I could see…

Thanks @cpinter

To have things more “dynamic”, may be a subset of the video could be used (the gif is around 12MB, was thinking to 2 or 3MB)

What about:

then, could also append, these sections:

Yes I was thinking about this, but I wanted a contiguous capture that looks nice. There were “boring” adjustments after the screw placement motions and those would have looked bad.

Thanks Jc for the suggestion! If it’s no problem to append different parts then yes I’ll just do this.

Thanks @cpinter, I agree that the snippets @jcfr pointed too will be great!

How about this:

1 Like

Yes! Much better, thanks!

@cpinter Which legend would you like for the provided gif ? The gif will be posted on the wiki, Kitware blog, and most likely release announcement.

Can you clarify? Do you mean what caption I’d like it to have?

Exactly … I literally translated from French and end up using the wrong word. Caption is the correct one.

Please modify at will:
“Demonstration of recent VR interaction developments in 3D Slicer via pedicle screw placement planning workflow: easy world manipulation using “pinch 3D”, placement of objects in the 3D screen with controllers, object clipping by head movement”

I know the last one is not a recent improvement, and not even an actual feature, but based on our correspondence with Tim Thirion and Ken Martin, cropping is not something that was intended to use productively, but it is actually useful, and heavily relied on for correct screw placement.

Thanks Csaba. Are the following acknowledgment correct ?

Demonstration of recent Virtual Reality (VR) interaction developments in 3D Slicer via pedicle screw placement planning workflow: (1) easy world manipulation using “pinch 3D”, (2) placement of objects in the 3D screen with controllers, (3) object clipping by head movement. By Csaba Pinter from Queen’s University, Canada.

Yes, thank you!
Comment must be 20 characters, so again, yes, thank you :slight_smile: