2021.03.30 Hangout

Tomorrow, we will be having our next weekly hangout at 10:00 AM ET until 11 AM ET.

Anyone is welcome to join to ask questions at https://bit.ly/slicer-googlemeet-hosted-by-kitware

Agenda:

Feel free to post to this thread to request/suggest a topic!

Thanks
Sam and J-Christophe

Hi, I would like to join and show some stuff I’ve been working on.

Best

1 Like

Sure, that would be great!

Hi, so I created a repo with the modules I showed last time.

Perhaps of interest:

• /AlphaOmega is the loadable module which requires NeuroOmega SDK and manages connection and signal acquisition. We mentioned perhaps a better idea would be to have the SDK in an external app so that the extension could be compiled more easily.
  • /LeadOR manages the main logic. /LeadORLib/util has the vtkCylinderSource implementation. There’s still work being done here.
  • StereotacticPlan/StereotacticPlanLib/util contains PDF import, mainly using pdfplumber. This modules creates a trajectory transform. Would be interesting to add more frame models and so on. I guess there has already been work that does this, but didn’t find one.
  • WarpDrive contains the nonlinear grid transform modifications module. This code is the oldest and I need to work more on it, but currently works as it is.

Happy to hear thoughts / suggestions

AlphaOmega: If the company does not allow distributing their SDK files publicly then adding an OpenIGTLink translation server would make a lot of sense. This is useful for operating system and general interface abstraction as well (so you can switch between different devices or versions without impacting the software application). Plus toolkit makes implementation of such a translation server quite easy - it has been used for interfacing Slicer with many similar data acquisition devices. There are several examples of using proprietary SDK (Medtronic, Intuitive, etc.): you can put your own C++ source code in the public Plus toolkit repository and when you configure the project you provide the path of the proprietary SDK to CMake.

LeadOR, StereotacticPlan, WarpDrive: If there is no build error it makes sense to add these to the build, even if they are still work in progress. It allows you to distribute the modules to users to get early feedback.

WarpDrive: This module could be useful for a wide audience. It would be nice if you could create a short tutorial (bullet-point list, slides, or screencast) so that we can give it a try.

It would be useful if you could create a short youtube video of what these modules can do; just to give an idea to people who did not attend the hangout to know what this extension is about.