Thanks for your interest in 3D Slicer!
If you are not developing with Slicer and would simply like to use it, please consider downloading Slicer from the website instead of manually building the program.
I would also highly suggest building the latest Slicer Nightly/Preview to take advantage of the latest features and fixes. You are more likely to receive help if problems arise while you are developing using the latest Slicer code.
Now, your current problems building Slicer are likely from configuration errors. I’ll provide of list of some things to consider below. Also, if you have any more problems, it is probably best to open a new thread on the forum to help debug your specific issues.
For Slicer 4.8.1:
- Make sure you have checked out the correct source code. “master-48” branch, not the default “master”
- Build qt 4.8.7 x64 using qt-easy-build with the correct build type (Debug vs. Release) that you want. Make sure you are using the VS2013 x64 command prompt.
- When you are configuring the build using CMake GUI, make sure you have picked the correct generator. For this Slicer version you should select “Visual Studio 12 2013 Win64” and not “Visual Studio 12 2013”.
- When you go to build the Slicer solution, make sure you are picking the same build type (Debug vs Release) as your Qt build.
- If a previous build failed or you incorrectly configured with the wrong generator, it is best to completely clear your binary folder are start the build process over.
Since the nightly build instructions don’t seem up-to-date for the current Slicer Nightly/Preview here’s some hints:
- Check out the regular “master” branch of the Slicer repo.
- Download the Qt5 binaries such as Qt 5.10.1 from their website
- When you are configuring the build using CMake GUI, make sure you have picked the correct generator. I have Visual Studio 2017 installed with the “VC++ 2015.3 v14.00 (v140) toolset for desktop”. In CMake-gui choose “Visual Studio 15 2017 Win64” and specify v140 as the optional toolset to use.
- During configuration change Slicer_VTK_VERSION_MAJOR to 9.
- Then configure and select your Qt5_DIR