Comparing Label maps: nrrd, nii and .mat

Hi!
I would like to qualitatively compare binary label maps generated from RTStruct files by visualizing them in 3D Slicer. I have three different formats: .nrrd, .nii and .mat. The .nrrd and .nii files were generated in 3D Slicer, and the .mat file was generated in Matlab.

Is there a way to load a .mat label mask to 3D Slicer without having to re-write it to an .nrrd?

The Matlab Commander: img = load(’…\mask.mat’) completes and knows that the file is a logical volume, but I can’t figure out how to visualize it.

Thanks for any help or guidance you can give!

In Matlab, save the voxel array as a .nrrd file using nrrdwrite.m. You should be able to write a function using a few lines of code that iterates through all the .mat files in a directory structure and saves them as .nrrd.

In general, it is fine to use any file format for temporary storage, but better for archiving, long-term storage, sharing, and analysis it is always better to use standard, open, widely supported file formats (DICOM, NRRD, MetaIO, etc) instead of proprietary/application-specific formats (such as Matlab’s .mat).

Thank you, Andras!
Not exactly what I was looking for, but it will do the trick.