Extension tests fail on CDash, why?

For community interest this issue is duplicated from BoneReconstructionPlanner Github

BRP is working correctly and the tests are succeded on my laptop.

Do you have some instruction on how to solve these tests failure ?

Do you have some instruction on how to solve these test failure ?

According to this test results of the Plots module:
RunTest and all test_* matching functions are run in parallel on test-machine

It appears I should then use only RunTest function and use section_ keyword

CDash is still failing for BoneReconstructionPlanner… Core-devs do you know how to fix this?

I see the following test failures on the Windows platform for BoneReconstructionPlanner (SlicerPreview : Test Details). Are you referring to these test failures?

======================================================================
FAIL: runTest (BoneReconstructionPlanner.BoneReconstructionPlannerTest)
Run as few or as many tests as needed here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "D:/D/P/S-0-E-b/BoneReconstructionPlanner-build/lib/Slicer-5.3/qt-scripted-modules/BoneReconstructionPlanner.py", line 3466, in runTest
    self.section_LoadFinishedPlanSampleData()
  File "D:/D/P/S-0-E-b/BoneReconstructionPlanner-build/lib/Slicer-5.3/qt-scripted-modules/BoneReconstructionPlanner.py", line 3528, in section_LoadFinishedPlanSampleData
    self.assertEqual(
AssertionError: 6 != 2

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ran 2 tests in 87.301s

FAILED (failures=1)
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "D:\D\P\S-0-build\Slicer-build\bin\Python\slicer\testing.py", line 26, in runUnitTest
    exitFailure()
  File "D:\D\P\S-0-build\Slicer-build\bin\Python\slicer\testing.py", line 10, in exitFailure
    raise Exception(message)
Exception
Switch to module:  ""
Warning: In D:\D\P\S-0\Libs\MRML\Core\vtkMRMLSubjectHierarchyNode.cxx, line 3009
vtkMRMLSubjectHierarchyNode (0000026324DF87A0): GetItemByName: Multiple subject hierarchy item found with name 'Mandibular planes. Returning first

double __cdecl qSlicerSubjectHierarchyMarkupsPlugin::canOwnSubjectHierarchyItem(__int64) const : could not get the Markups module logic.
void __cdecl qMRMLSubjectHierarchyModel::updateItemDataFromSubjectHierarchyItem(class QStandardItem *,__int64,int) : Terminologies module is not found
double __cdecl qSlicerSubjectHierarchyMarkupsPlugin::canOwnSubjectHierarchyItem(__int64) const : could not get the Markups module logic.
void __cdecl qMRMLSubjectHierarchyModel::updateItemDataFromSubjectHierarchyItem(class QStandardItem *,__int64,int) : Terminologies module is not found
  File "D:/D/P/S-0-E-b/BoneReconstructionPlanner-build/lib/Slicer-5.3/qt-scripted-modules/BoneReconstructionPlanner.py", line 356, in exit
    mandibularPlanesList[i].RemoveObserver(self.logic.mandiblePlaneObserversAndNodeIDList[i][0])
IndexError: list index out of range

Yes. Thank you, I forgot to put the link to the failing-test…

Here is the relevant code:

I would like runTest to be executed only once and not in parallel but sequentially

This is my research on the topic

Next is the command line to execute BRP tests on Slicer:

/work/Preview/Slicer-0-build/Slicer-build/Slicer "--no-splash" "--testing" "--launcher-additional-settings" "/work/Preview/S-0-E-b/BoneReconstructionPlanner-build/AdditionalLauncherSettings.ini" "--additional-module-paths" "/work/Preview/S-0-E-b/BoneReconstructionPlanner-build/lib/Slicer-5.3/qt-scripted-modules" "/work/Preview/S-0-E-b/BoneReconstructionPlanner-build/lib/Slicer-5.3/cli-modules" "/work/Preview/S-0-E-b/BoneReconstructionPlanner-build/lib/Slicer-5.3/qt-loadable-modules" "--python-code" "import slicer.testing; slicer.testing.runUnitTest(['/work/Preview/S-0-E-b/BoneReconstructionPlanner-build/BoneReconstructionPlanner', '/work/Preview/S-0-E-b/BoneReconstructionPlanner/BoneReconstructionPlanner'], 'BoneReconstructionPlanner')"

Which comes from this cmake file:

Here is the runUnitTest definition:

If I run it on Slicer I get:

import unittest
suite = unittest.TestLoader().loadTestsFromName('BoneReconstructionPlanner')
print(suite)

<unittest.suite.TestSuite tests=[<unittest.suite.TestSuite tests=[<BoneReconstructionPlanner.BoneReconstructionPlannerTest testMethod=runTest>]>, <unittest.suite.TestSuite tests=[<slicer.ScriptedLoadableModule.ScriptedLoadableModuleTest testMethod=runTest>]>]>

There are two tests listed above, so that explains the logs from CDash:

runTest (BoneReconstructionPlanner.BoneReconstructionPlannerTest)
…
Run as few or as many tests as needed here. … FAIL
runTest (slicer.ScriptedLoadableModule.ScriptedLoadableModuleTest)
Run a default selection of tests here. … ok

The code sources are linked in the above quote.

This code piece also looks relevant:

The main question I have right now is why my test data is loaded 3 times instead of 1 (as I intended on the test here and this line)

First load:

Loaded volume from file: /home/kitware/.cache/NA-MIC/Slicer-tmp/Slicer-tmpIO/__BundleLoadTemp-2022-12-06_092933_484/TestPlanBRP/Data/Fibula.nrrd. Dimensions: 512x512x1213. Number of components: 1. Pixel type: int.

Loaded volume from file: /home/kitware/.cache/NA-MIC/Slicer-tmp/Slicer-tmpIO/__BundleLoadTemp-2022-12-06_092933_484/TestPlanBRP/Data/Skull.nrrd. Dimensions: 512x512x207. Number of components: 1. Pixel type: int.

Second load:

Loaded volume from file: /home/kitware/.cache/NA-MIC/Slicer-tmp/Slicer-tmpIO/__BundleLoadTemp-2022-12-06_092959_291/TestPlanBRP/Data/Fibula.nrrd. Dimensions: 512x512x1213. Number of components: 1. Pixel type: int.

Loaded volume from file: /home/kitware/.cache/NA-MIC/Slicer-tmp/Slicer-tmpIO/__BundleLoadTemp-2022-12-06_092959_291/TestPlanBRP/Data/Skull.nrrd. Dimensions: 512x512x207. Number of components: 1. Pixel type: int.

Third load:

Loaded volume from file: /home/kitware/.cache/NA-MIC/Slicer-tmp/Slicer-tmpIO/__BundleLoadTemp-2022-12-06_093041_333/TestPlanBRP/Data/Fibula.nrrd. Dimensions: 512x512x1213. Number of components: 1. Pixel type: int.

Loaded volume from file: /home/kitware/.cache/NA-MIC/Slicer-tmp/Slicer-tmpIO/__BundleLoadTemp-2022-12-06_093041_333/TestPlanBRP/Data/Skull.nrrd. Dimensions: 512x512x207. Number of components: 1. Pixel type: int.

Dear @lassoan, @pieper, @jamesobutler, @jcfr, @Sam_Horvath

It would be really nice if you could help me solve this test-break

You can print the stack trace in the loading method to see what is executing the method:

import traceback
traceback.print_stack()

In this case, loading of the scene is attempted 3 times because an error occurred during loading. SampleData module tries to download and load a data set 3 times before giving up. So, you need to check what causes the scene loading to return with failure and if you fix it then the scene will only be loaded once and probably all the other errors will go away.

If it is too difficult to find/fix the root cause of the scene loading error then you can use a lower-level SampleData API, where you can set number of attempts to 1:

def downloadFromSource(self, source, maximumAttemptsCount=3): 
1 Like

Thanks for the answer Andras

So I guess I’ll add that code to the test after this line so it gets executed by the Kitware-build-machine as the test doesn’t fail on my laptop

It fails the same on my computer, too. I’ve simply downloaded the ExtensionsIndex repository, kept only those s4ext files that are relevant for BRP extension, and then built the extensions. It reproduced the same error as you can see on the dashboard. Probably some extension is not fully loaded and that causes the scene load with errors.

@RafaelPalomar had some issues with testing extensions that depend on other extensions - he might have some tips for you.

1 Like

Thank you Andras. I could replicate the bug by installing BRP on Slicer and then disabling the MarkupsToModel extension it depends on.

These are the Extensions that depend on MarkupsToModel

According to the CMakeLists of the PathReconstruction Extension

The next lines searching the dependencies are missing on BoneReconstructionPlanner CMake file:

find_package(SurfaceWrapSolidify REQUIRED)
find_package(MarkupsToModel REQUIRED)
find_package(Sandbox REQUIRED)
find_package(SlicerRT REQUIRED)

I hope it works, we’ll see tomorrow

Thank you

@mau_igna_06, @lassoan I’ll have a closer look to this and get back to you

1 Like

@mau_igna_06 we were discussing this topic a few weeks ago in the devs meeting. It seems that tests requiring external module dependencies fail because the dependencies are not loaded in fresh environments. In a development setup, where you manually build the dependencies and set the paths everything should work. However, the testing environment for the extensions tests the modules in an independent manner without considering its dependencies (in the Slicer-Liver, we even have dependencies included in the same extension that are not loaded in some tests, making these fails.

I think this issue should be solved as it will improve the testing dashboards and the quaility of the tests, but solving this problem will require some CMake plumbing work. @jcfr, @pieper do you agree with this assessment? I could open an issue on this and even try to come up with some ideas if that would be helpful. Unfortunately, today I won’t be able to join the meeteing, but we can have this as a discussion point in upcoming meetings.

1 Like

We talked about this on today’s call and yes, I think what you describe was the conclusion. I believe Jc has an idea what needs to be done.

Hi

As I see an effort to improve testing documentation here, I would like to point out that I still cannot solve the issue of the testing data not loaded properly on BoneReconstructionPlanner test. The test data can be loaded properly from the SampleData module GUI

Andras explained the problem below

The problem is that loading of the scene requires SicerIGT extension, which is not loaded when the automatic test is used. If SlicerIGT modules are not present then Slicer does not know about some of the node types that SlicerIGT defines, therefore the loading ends with error code, therefore the SampleData module makes repeated attempts to download and load the scene file (3 times in total) until it gives up.

The fix would be to add all module paths from required extensions to additional module paths when running the tests.