How to leverage oriented bounding boxes from SegmentStatistics to crop scans within python numpy

Intro:
I need to crop teeth instances in the CBCT scan. I have to do it in Python with numpy because I need to be able to crop data during code runs and experiments - e.g., by changing the crop margin along the z-axis) - in short, it has to be done outside the Slicer. To crop instances with slicing that are not aligned with array axes, I need to rotate them first. Inverse rotation does not work as I expect it to; something is missing I need to understand.

Current process:

• In Slicer: I generate oriented bounding boxes (OBBs) based on segmentation using Slicer (I created a simple extension for it that uses class SegmentStatistics). In the end, I have an LPS JSON file per each segment with parameters like center, size, and orientation.
  • Outside Slicer: I read nifti files to numpy (nibabel). I generate a matrix based on nifti affine to transform from LPS to IJK. I calculate inverse transform and apply it to bounding box vertices and CBCT scan.

PROBLEM: I expect to obtain scan oriented in the same way as the oriented bounding box - so axes of instance are now new scan axes, so I can easily crop it using array slicing. However, I cannot get these results. Inverse rotation does not generate proper results.

Details:
I read image data from nifti file and OBBs data from JSON. The JSON file is saved in LPS, but I transform it to RAS like in here. I calculate inverse transform based on the affine matrix embedded in the nii.gz file to convert data from RAS2IJK (by IJK, I mean data space in pixels/voxels). Finally, I calculate the inverse transform of rotation in IJK. Now I can align the scan with OBB. I translate the instance center to the origin (precisely, it is in the rotation center at the beginning because of dimensions normalization and grid resampling, but I do not want to overcomplicate here), apply inverse rotation, and translate back with vector from box center to the scan center. I do the same with OBB vertices. Based on transformed vertices, I calculate slices to crop scan.

Resampling details:
I apply an affine matrix using Pytorch and MONAI. Grid resampling requires additional operation of normalizing dimensions and aligning image corners - doc: here.

Experiments and magic:
To make the transformation work, I do a bizarre and unintuitive thing. I calculate intrinsic Euler angles (‘xyz’). I change the sign of rotation around the x and y-axis. I multiply rotation matrices based on angles in proper order zyx. The magic rotation matrix constructed in this way works correctly for the scan but not for OBB vertex coordinates.

Example when it works (affine with magic):

Example when it doesn’t work (np.linalg.inv(rotationMatrixRAS)):

Slicer OBBs:

I am aware that some more explanations and details may be necessary, so please ask questions and I will try to answer them to make things clear.

*Data I am working with are publicly available.

Code:

import numpy as np
import nibabel as nib
from scipy.spatial.transform import Rotation as R
from monai.transforms import Affine 
from monai.networks.utils import normalize_transform

def cropOBB(self, obbCenterLPS, obbOrientationLPS, obbSize, volumeArray, labelArray, affineRAS) -> Tuple[torch.tensor, torch.tensor, np.array, int]:

#LPS
        directionLPSx = obbOrientationLPS[0::3]
        directionLPSy = obbOrientationLPS[1::3]
        directionLPSz = obbOrientationLPS[2::3]
        obbCenterLPS4 = np.append(obbCenterLPS, 1)
        rotationMatrixLPS33 = np.column_stack((directionLPSx, directionLPSy, directionLPSz))

#RAS
        ras2LPS44 = np.diag([-1, -1, 1, 1]) 
        ras2LPS33 = np.diag([-1, -1, 1])
        ras2IJKinv44 = np.linalg.inv(affineRAS)
        #center
        obbCenterRAS4 = ras2LPS44 @ obbCenterLPS4
        #rotation
        rotationMatrixRAS33 = ras2LPS33 @ rotationMatrixLPS33
        rotationMatrixRAS44 = np.eye(4)
        rotationMatrixRAS44[:3,:3] = rotationMatrixRAS33
        rotationMatrixLPS44 = np.eye(4)
        rotationMatrixLPS44[:3,:3] = rotationMatrixLPS33
        #obb dimensions
        obbTopLeftNearRASVec3 = obbCenterRAS4[:3] - 0.5 * rotationMatrixRAS33 @ obbSize
        obbBottomRightFarRASVec3 = obbCenterRAS4[:3] + 0.5 * rotationMatrixRAS33 @ obbSize

#IJK - volume data coordinates (voxels)
        obbsCenterIJKVec4 = ras2IJKinv44 @ obbCenterRAS4
        obbTopLeftNearIJKVec4 = ras2IJKinv44 @ np.append(obbTopLeftNearRASVec3, 1)
        obbBottomRightFarIJKVec4 = ras2IJKinv44 @ np.append(obbBottomRightFarRASVec3, 1)

#transforms obb coordinates
        translationOBBOriginIJK44 = np.eye(4)
        translationOBBOriginIJK44[:3,3] = -obbsCenterIJKVec4[:3]

translationBack2OriginOBB= np.eye(4)
        translationBack2OriginOBB[:,3] = obbsCenterIJKVec4

#translations to origin - rotation center
        translation_2 = np.eye(4)
        scanOriginVec3 = obbsCenterIJKVec4[:3]
        translation_2[:,3] = np.append(scanOriginVec3,1) # centers tooth of interest in the screen

translation_3 = np.eye(4)
        translation_4 = np.eye(4)
        obbOriginVec3 = obbsCenterIJKVec4[:3] - np.array(volumeArray.shape)//2
        translation_3[:,3] = np.append(-scanOriginVec3,1)
        translation_4[:,3] = np.append(-obbOriginVec3,1)

#affine matrices
		# norm transform - data dimensions to grid resamlt dimensions [
        normTransformNonZeroCentered44 = normalize_transform(volumeArray.shape, align_corners=False, zero_centered=False)[0]

#some kind of magic
        angles = R.from_matrix(np.linalg.inv(rotationMatrixLPS33)).as_euler('xyz', degrees=True)
        anglesAdjusted = angles * [-1,-1,1]
        rotationAdjusted = rot(anglesAdjusted[0], 'x') @ rot(anglesAdjusted[1],'y') @ rot(anglesAdjusted[2],'z')
        experimental_rotation = np.eye(4)

affineMatrixNormalised44 = normTransformNonZeroCentered44 @ translation_2 @ rotationAdjusted
        obbCoordinatesAffineMatrix44 = translation_4 @ translation_2 @ np.linalg.inv(rotationMatrixLPS44) @ translation_3

#apply affine obb
        obbTopLeftNearIJKOriginVec4 = obbCoordinatesAffineMatrix44 @ obbTopLeftNearIJKVec4
        obbBottomRightFarIJKOriginVec4 = obbCoordinatesAffineMatrix44 @ obbBottomRightFarIJKVec4
        obbsCenterIJKOriginVec4 = obbCoordinatesAffineMatrix44 @ obbsCenterIJKVec4
        obbCropSlices = tuple(map(lambda a, b: slice(int(np.floor(min(a,b))), int(np.ceil(max(a,b)))), obbTopLeftNearIJKOriginVec4[:3], obbBottomRightFarIJKOriginVec4[:3]))

#apply affine on volume and label and resample
        volumeArray4ch= np.expand_dims(volumeArray, 0)
        labelArray4ch= np.expand_dims(labelArray, 0)
        transformedVolumeArray, _ = Affine(affine=affineMatrixNormalised44, normalized=True, mode='bilinear', padding_mode='zeros', image_only=False)(volumeArray4ch)
        transformedLabelArray, _ = Affine(affine=affineMatrixNormalised44, normalized=True, mode='nearest', padding_mode='zeros', image_only=False)(labelArray4ch)

#crop transformed arrays
        croppedToothID = transformedLabelArray[0][tuple(map(lambda a: a//2, volumeArray.shape))].int().item()
        croppedVolume = transformedVolumeArray[0][obbCropSlices]
        croppedLabels = transformedLabelArray[0][obbCropSlices]

#visualise results
        self.visualiseResults(croppedVolume, filename=f"{croppedToothID:02d}_croppedTooth")
        self.visualiseResults(transformedVolumeArray[0], filename=f"{croppedToothID:02d}_rectifiedTooth", bbox=obbCropSlices)
        self.visualiseSlices(volumeArray, obbTopLeftNearIJKVec4, obbBottomRightFarIJKVec4, obbsCenterIJKVec4,
                             obbTopLeftNearIJKOriginVec4, obbBottomRightFarIJKOriginVec4, obbsCenterIJKOriginVec4,
                             transformedVolumeArray[0], transformedLabelArray[0], croppedToothID)

#delete labels of neighboring tooth
        croppedLabels[croppedLabels!=croppedToothID]=0

cropAffine =  np.eye(4)
        cropAffine[:3,:3]=affineRAS[:3,:3]
        cropAffine[:,3] = obbsCenterIJKVec4

return croppedVolume, croppedLabels, cropAffine, croppedToothID

Slicer’s Python environment should work as any other Python environment, but it offers some more built-in libraries and an optional desktop application GUI. Anything that you can do using the GUI you can do using Python scripting without relying on the GUI.

Therefore, I would recommend to simply use Crop volume module using Python scripting. You can reimplement all Slicer features using lower-level libraries (Slicer ultimately relies on VTK and ITK for most of its processing) but that’s up to you to figure out. If you need help for using lower-level libraries, you can ask on the forum of those libraries.

If you decide to reimplement cropping, here are some hints:

• I don’t think you can resample an image using numpy, but instead you can use ITK, SimpleITK, or VTK filters.
  • Euler angles is a not suitable for representing image orientation in medical image computing due to ambiguity and instability (gimbal lock).
  • You can solve all linear transforms related tasks, such as computing the transformation between any coordinate systems, using a homogeneous transformations. Always work with the compete transform - it should never be necessary to separate the translation and rotation parts.