Mac OS Catalina

Hi Everyone, I’ve been holding out for years to upgrading to Mac OS Catalina from Mojave, because I have several 32-bit apps that I haven’t wanted to lose access to. I’m at the point where other apps are no longer becoming compatible with Mojave and I think I have to upgrade. Does Slicer work well with Catalina now? I’m the latest stable version of Slicer.

Thanks!

Jamie

I’m a relatively slow and conservative upgrader myself, so I feel your pain. I’m on Big Sur (11.6) now, I was on Catalina for quite a while using stable (occasionally) and nightly (regularly). No major issues to speak of.

Yes in the latest Slicer stable documentation, the latest public release of macOS is recommended.

https://slicer.readthedocs.io/en/v4.11/user_guide/getting_started.html#operating-system-versions

As you’ve experienced with macOS Mojave (10.14), it is now unsupported as of October 2021 as indicated on the macOS Mojave wikipedia page. Slicer dependencies frequently only continue to support operating system versions that are themselves supported. So Slicer itself will drop support for macOS 10.14 and older as well.

Many IT departments only support operating system versions that are themselves supported. For macOS this is typically the current version and 2 older versions. Therefore that currently means supported versions include the following:

• macOS Monterey (12.x) released Oct 2021
  • macOS Big Sur (11.x) released Nov 2020
  • macOS Catalina (10.15) released Oct 2019