Moving polydata (opened .stl files) around using transforms

Operating system: Ubuntu 18.04
Slicer version: 4.8.1
Expected behavior: Move an .stl polydata around in the 3d view
Actual behavior:

Hi, I want to create an overlay of a needle both on the 3d view and the 2d slices. I have tried to use fiducials by sending a pointcloud over OpenIGTLink but when the number of fiducials goes up the app becomes significantly laggy. I figured that by using a polydata overlay, I can both see the shape in the 3d view and see an intersection with actual dicom slices in the 2d slices viewer.

The problem I am facing is that I want to move this polydata thing around (changing its position and orientation), preferrably with transforms as I can easily send transforms over from ROS using OpenIGTLink.

Any help will be very much appreciated!

You can receive transforms via OpenIGTLink and apply it to any node (in Transforms module). Use at least the latest Stable Release of Slicer. See tutorials at www.slicerigt.org.

1 Like

Thank you for your help! So I just add the model as a transformable, is that correct?

I use 4.8.1 as the OpenIGTLink bridge with ROS has problems communicating correctly. So I was suggested by the author of that module to use an older version. I will test if this works in 4.10.2.

Thank you again.

1 Like