OsteotomyCuts: a new extension for multi-segment osteotomy planning (orthognathic and craniofacial)

Hi everyone,

I’d like to share a small extension I created with CluadeCode: OsteotomyCuts.

For years my biggest frustration with virtual planning in Slicer was cutting. Cuts were hard to predict, and complex osteotomies (a stepped Le Fort I, a BSSO, a chevron genioplasty) were difficult or impossible to make cleanly. So I tried to solve it for myself.

I’m not a software developer. I built this with Claude Code (Pro), directing and testing every step myself, over about two days alongside clinical work. The actual development time with Claude Code was a few hours. Everything, from the code, tests and documentation to the logo, was produced with Claude Code or Claude under my direction and checked by me.

What it does (Phase 1)

  • Draw an osteotomy line of any shape on the bone and set the saw direction. The bone is divided into closed, printable bone segments.
  • Saw blade thickness, cut depth and cut reach, so a cut stops where you want it.
  • Several osteotomy lines in one step (e.g. the horizontal and pterygomaxillary cuts of a Le Fort I). Le Fort I, II and III, BSSO, genioplasty and segmental cuts can all be built this way.
  • Symmetrical cuts: mirror an osteotomy to the other side across a midline plane, or make a line symmetric.
  • Structures to protect: add the nerve canal or tooth roots with a safe distance; the preview turns green, amber or red, and you’re warned before cutting.
  • Model quality checks, and an optional “Create solid bone model”. You don’t normally need it, but it helps when a segmentation has holes or internal surfaces and a cut doesn’t behave.

The multi-segment cuts, symmetrical cuts and safety-distance check are features I haven’t found in the planning tools I’ve used, so I hope they’re useful to others.

It’s research and planning software, not a medical device. There’s a clear disclaimer and a first-use terms dialog. It’s free and open source under GPL-3.0-or-later.

What’s next

This is Phase 1. Next I plan to add guided templates (Le Fort I, BSSO, genioplasty, segmental), followed by segment repositioning and other planning tools. The longer-term aim is a free, complete orthognathic planning workflow in Slicer, validated against commercial software, for colleagues who can’t afford high licence fees.

Links

I’d be very grateful if you’d try it and tell me what’s wrong: bugs, clinical logic, the interface, anything. Criticism is welcome. I’ve submitted it to the Extensions Index [PR link]; any help from the core developers in getting it there, or advice on doing things the Slicer way, would be much appreciated.

Thank you to the Slicer community for such a remarkable platform.

Manjula Herath

2 Likes

Hi Dear Herath.

Thank you very much by share this tool,
I am ready to offer my support on testing the new tools you shared.

Best regards.
Carlos J. Winkler
55 11 98553-2450

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this, Manjula!

This looks really interesting. The video does a great job showing how it works, and I liked the music too. Are you aware of any existing work in Slicer on generating patient-specific cutting guides from planned osteotomies? If not, that could be an interesting project to take on.

1 Like

@Sam_Horvath might know more about status and relevant capabilities of iCSPlan.

Hi Pedro,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I will be doing PSI guide generation as the next step. Right now it can be done with 3D Slicer using segment editor or markups to model. Right now i am working on the templates for different osteotomies. Once it is complete i will move on to the guide generations and other.

https://youtu.be/TUbL08TV5C8

Thanks

Thanks please let me know

Thanks for developing this extension…will definitely try it.

1 Like