Stereoscopic 3D view

I wish to experiment the stereoscopic settings of the 3D view. It offers four types of display (red/blue, anaglyph…).

Different kinds of glasses are available in retail shops, red/blue being most common and cheap. But it seems to be an entry level method according to internet information.

Other glasses are more sophisticated, but they seem to be designed for specific projectors or TV screens.

What would be a good pair of stereoscopic glasses to look for ? I don’t mind ordering a named brand that gives decent results. Does anyone have shareable experience with stereoscopic viewing with Slicer ?

Thanks.

A couple of years ago I bought 4-5 different kinds of red-blue glasses (in cost range of $2 to $15) and did not find any significant difference between them in term of image quality. They all provided some level of 3D perception, but it was not great.

Then came inexpensive consumer virtual reality and it made all previous 3D technologies (anaglyph, shutter glasses, cave, etc.) immediately obsolete. Virtual reality is just so much better, not just because of superior stereo image separation and color reproduction, but also because you have motion parallax (at least as important depth cue as image disparity), you can look behind and into things just by moving around, you get 6-DOF controllers that you can use to grab the scene or objects and move them around, etc.

Nowadays it could be kind of embarrassing to show up with red/blue glasses as a “3D visualization solution”.

Thank you for your commented reply.

It’s just that I was in a show during my vacation and viewed a projected movie with provided simple transparent glasses. The scene was so realistic, I wondered if it could be simply reproduced with Slicer’s facilities. I suppose it must have been glasses specific to the projector.

Now VR is another beast, and I don’t really have a compelling need for a complex setup.

Regards.

VR headsets with inside-out tracking (such as all Windows Mixed Reality headsets) do not require any setup, you just plug the headset’s usb/video cable in your computer and you are ready to go.

Polarized glasses still make sense for mass events, but for individual/small-group use virtual reality is much better (and less expensive and and simpler to set up).