A group of Slicer community members have extensively discussed the advantages of updated forum software, and developed a consensus at the 1/2017 Project week that we test Discourse as a new home for questions and discussion by users and developers of Slicer and any extension/topical communities who are interested.
Here is a proposed schedule to transition from mailing lists:
- 3 days testing by small internal group.
- Announce testing period on mailing lists.
- Suggested strategy to seed content: copy interesting new posts onto Discourse manually, reply on Discourse, and post link to the reply on mailing list.
- Send training email with link to instructions for how to use Discourse exclusively by email (the initial setup is slightly clunky, but reply-by-email works great).
- After [1 week?] testing, announce that mailing lists will be put in read-only mode after [1 additional week].
- Disable new posts to mailing list.
- Send daily, no-reply forum activity summaries to the mailing list for 1 month, then weekly summaries for [1 month?].