TotalSegmentator setup

I keep getting errors trying to run totalsegmenter. I suspect it has to do with pyTorch not being installed properly on my system. Linux Ubuntu 22.04. To install pyTorch seems a bit tricky and most sites recommend using anaconda. Any advice? error message included:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/samuel/Slicer-5.2.1-linux-amd64/bin/Python/slicer/util.py”, line 2961, in tryWithErrorDisplay
yield
File “/home/samuel/Slicer-5.2.1-linux-amd64/NA-MIC/Extensions-31317/TotalSegmentator/lib/Slicer-5.2/qt-scripted-modules/TotalSegmentator.py”, line 248, in onApplyButton
self.logic.setupPythonRequirements()
File “/home/samuel/Slicer-5.2.1-linux-amd64/NA-MIC/Extensions-31317/TotalSegmentator/lib/Slicer-5.2/qt-scripted-modules/TotalSegmentator.py”, line 531, in setupPythonRequirements
slicer.util.pip_install(totalSegmentatorPackage + " --no-deps" + (" --upgrade" if upgrade else “”))
File “/home/samuel/Slicer-5.2.1-linux-amd64/bin/Python/slicer/util.py”, line 3571, in pip_install
_executePythonModule(‘pip’, args)
File “/home/samuel/Slicer-5.2.1-linux-amd64/bin/Python/slicer/util.py”, line 3533, in _executePythonModule
logProcessOutput(proc)
File “/home/samuel/Slicer-5.2.1-linux-amd64/bin/Python/slicer/util.py”, line 3502, in logProcessOutput
raise CalledProcessError(retcode, proc.args, output=proc.stdout, stderr=proc.stderr)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command ‘[’/home/samuel/Slicer-5.2.1-linux-amd64/bin/…/bin/PythonSlicer’, ‘-m’, ‘pip’, ‘install’, ‘git+https://github.com/wasserth/TotalSegmentator.git’, ‘–no-deps’]’ returned non-zero exit status 1.

There is a new 3D Slicer extension available for installing and running TotalSegmentator within 3D Slicer.
Highly recommended.

Sources on GitHub: GitHub - lassoan/SlicerTotalSegmentator: Fully automatic total body segmentation in 3D Slicer using "TotalSegmentator" AI model

You will also need to install PyTorch by using the PyTorch extension:

Thank-you, I installed newer version and also GIT which I overlooked previously. Now running fine. Is there a version for the Mac OS platform?

Yes, the TotalSegmentator extenstion works on a mac (tested on an M2 mac book air) but the GPU version is not available and I didn’t see an option to run the high-res version (but the faster low-res version did work).

Thanks I updated my mac version and was able to load the extension but as you said I couldn’t get the hi res version to compile.

The full-resolution model works fine on CPU (at least on Windows). Tested on two computers. Even completes successfully on an 8th-generation Intel i5 with 8GB RAM (it takes 30-40 minutes, which is long, but still much shorter than doing the segmentation manually).

What error did you get on macOS when you attempted to segment with “fast” mode disabled?

1 Like

I does not see the totalsegmentation plug-in in the list when I open the extension manager.I am working with3D slicer 5-1-0-2022-11-12

Please update Slicer to the recent stable version 5.2.1.

You should find the extension here after installation:

This is a new extension. It is not available in older Slicer Preview Releases.

I would recommend to use the latest Slicer Stable Release (currently Slicer-5.2.1), as it allows you to easily update the extensions as we make improvements/fixes.

Thank you so much, I missed the latest release! I will do that.
Very best regards

Pr Philippe Pellerin.
Former coordinator of the French National Reference Center for rare craniofacial malformations.
Departement of Plastic Surgery.
Lille University Hospital.
France

2 Likes

I have downloaded Slicer 5-3 and the total segmentation extension, tried it at once: great result, I can’t believe how you did that but this is for me as a miracle!
Bravo and thanks again for the incredible tool that you provided.
Happy X’mas

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words. TotalSegmentator is indeed amazing, and it is still in early stage. It is expected to become much better - more accurate and more comprehensive. Credits go to DKFZ for releasing this AI segmentation tool (including training method and data sets) for public use without restrictions (see GitHub - wasserth/TotalSegmentator: Tool for robust segmentation of 104 important anatomical structures in CT images for details).

1 Like

Dear Andras, I am trying to work with Bale’s team to implement face segmentation in Totalsegmentator. I am asked to send the CT data as Nifti files, I am OK with this, but they ask as well a Nifti or NRRD for the segmentation. I can’t find a way to export the segmentation this way. Is it one that I could use?
Thanks for your time and help.

This is quite hidden: You can find it in “Segmentations”

1 Like

Super, thank you, in the meantime, Jakob has been happy with the .nrrb file in the saved bundle. But this way, I could select what he is specifically interested in.
Thanks a lot for your fast answer.
All the best.

1 Like

Hi, I am trying to run TotalSegmentor,but its showing error.pyTorch has already been installed on my system Windows 64 bit.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\lvarghese\AppData\Local\NA-MIC\Slicer 5.2.2\bin\Python\slicer\util.py”, line 2967, in tryWithErrorDisplay
yield
File “C:/Users/lvarghese/AppData/Local/NA-MIC/Slicer 5.2.2/NA-MIC/Extensions-31382/TotalSegmentator/lib/Slicer-5.2/qt-scripted-modules/TotalSegmentator.py”, line 264, in onApplyButton
self.logic.process(self.ui.inputVolumeSelector.currentNode(), self.ui.outputSegmentationSelector.currentNode(),
File “C:/Users/lvarghese/AppData/Local/NA-MIC/Slicer 5.2.2/NA-MIC/Extensions-31382/TotalSegmentator/lib/Slicer-5.2/qt-scripted-modules/TotalSegmentator.py”, line 799, in process
self.logProcessOutput(proc)
File “C:/Users/lvarghese/AppData/Local/NA-MIC/Slicer 5.2.2/NA-MIC/Extensions-31382/TotalSegmentator/lib/Slicer-5.2/qt-scripted-modules/TotalSegmentator.py”, line 692, in logProcessOutput
raise CalledProcessError(retcode, proc.args, output=proc.stdout, stderr=proc.stderr)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command ‘[‘C:/Users/lvarghese/AppData/Local/NA-MIC/Slicer 5.2.2/bin/…/bin\PythonSlicer.EXE’, ‘C:\Users\lvarghese\AppData\Local\NA-MIC\Slicer 5.2.2\lib\Python\Scripts\TotalSegmentator’, ‘-i’, ‘C:/Users/lvarghese/AppData/Local/Temp/Slicer/__SlicerTemp__2023-06-04_19+38+07.977/total-segmentator-input.nii’, ‘-o’, ‘C:/Users/lvarghese/AppData/Local/Temp/Slicer/__SlicerTemp__2023-06-04_19+38+07.977/segmentation’, ‘–ml’, ‘–task’, ‘total’, ‘–fast’]’ returned non-zero exit status 120.

I am not that good with coding,can someone help me where I am doing wrong,is there anyother extensions for support I have to install?

Please go to Pytorch Utils module and copy here the displayed version of Pytorch and cuda.

I had installed the latest version.

Please go to Pytorch Utils module and check what are the Pytorch and cuda versions displayed there.

This is what it showing