Attached pictures are not shown in some posts

Environment: Windows 10, Firefox (124.0.1, 64-bit).

Some attached pictures are disappeared, and this happens in several posts (but not all posts). I have tried different browsers (Chrome, Firefox and MS Edge) and laptops (borrow from my colleague), but this problem still exists.

For example, in the picture below, there should be a picture inside the red rectangle area, but it is only a space now.

If I right-click the space, the “picture” can be open in new tab, but it’s a “transparent.png” all the time, with 1x1 pixel.
圖片

Is this a known issue? I did a quick search but found no related discussion in Slicer forum.

Another example:

I’ve seen this a few times too - our forum is hosted by discourse and I guess this is a bug that should be reported to them.

I’ve noticed missing pictures here and there, too.

@jcfr could you report this to discourse? I know that you have a lot on your plate, I’m just asking because mostly you have been communicating with discourse folks.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I just sent a message to the Discourse support team, I will follow up when I hear back.

Thank you for the quick response and support !
I’m looking forward to the good news so that I can thoroughly catch up with the highlights of updates across Slicer 5.2 and Slicer 5.6. I’ve missed the new releases for a long time…

Here is an update from support:

We understand users on your forum are experiencing issues with images. We appreciate you providing us with link to the topic your users have created. I just wanted to let you know we are looking into this for you and will get back to you once we have more information.

In the meantime, are you able to grab additional information on how the users uploaded the images and possibly send over a copy of the image in that topic? Also, when would you say the issue was originally noticed?

Would it be possible to help me answer these questions:

• Are you able to grab additional information on how the users uploaded the images and possibly send over a copy of the image in that topic?
  • When would you say the issue was originally noticed?

I don’t think we have the images in any of these cases. The images are uploaded, others can see it (proven by the discussions in the topic), and then sometimes the images later disappear.

I noticed missing images several times over the past 1-2 years.

I don’t think it ever occurs for active topics, because if there is any issue with an image upload while the discussion is ongoing then we still have the images and upload again. For me, this was always an issue with older topics.

I have had the same experience: I have noticed missing images only in older posts and have occasionally seen this for a while (I’d estimate at least a year). I have not ever noticed this in new or recent posts. I assumed that perhaps under some conditions discourse discarded old images, and that they were therefore no longer available. I feel like I have seen threads were some images were present and others had disappeared; if I come across one of those again, I will post back here with the example.

Here is an example from a post I made in 2019: Mixed volume rendering and surface representation of segmentation has incorrect 3D appearance if segment is not fully opaque - #3 by mikebind

I posted three screenshots in that thread, almost certainly all as Win-Shift-S captures and then pasted into the text box. The first two have disappeared, and the third is still visible. A screenshot from Andras is also still visible.

Here’s an example from 2022 which doesn’t seem too old for it to not be working:

To follow-up on this, the Discourse support team is still looking into this and will follow-up as soon as they have an update.

2 Likes