Cannot run Slicer on a 32-bit operating system

Operating system: Windows 7
Slicer version: 4.6.2 (also tried 4.5.0-1, same behavior)
Expected behavior: Installation of Slicer, and run it by double clicking Slicer.exe
Actual behavior: Installation seems done, but nothing happens when I double click on Slicer.exe

Hi guys,
This is the first time I’m trying to use 3D Slicer. I’m stuck at the installation step. Could you please give me a hand?
Thanks a lot !
Lily

See instructions for solving this issue here: https://www.slicer.org/wiki/Documentation/Nightly/Developers/Tutorials/Troubleshooting#Debugging_Slicer_application_startup_issues

Write here what was the solution. If the problem persists then provide additional information as described.

Hi,

Thank you very much for your answer.

This was my mistake actually, I installed and tried to run versions for Windows 64 bits, whereas I was using a 32 bits. Sorry about that. I could run the Slicer-4.3.0-win-i386.

I would like to show some results at a presentation. I will have my work prepared on an external hard drive, but I cannot know if the system there will be a 32 or 64 bits. Any chance the i386 version can also run on a 64 bits?

We stopped providing 32-bit Slicer packages several years ago, because memory space of 32-bit applications is very small and so you can only manipulate relatively small data sets and you can perform very limited processing.

You can still build a 32-bit Slicer - follow these build instructions, but I would strongly recommend to switch to a 64-bit operating system.

For some reasons, the navigation device only support 32, I must have a 32 bits slicer running on my win7*32.
However, I installed a 4.3 slicer successfully but there was no extension. I just went the IGTslicer extension, so what can I do? Can I load it just as many modules not a extension.
I also try to build one followwing these build instructions mentioned above, but get many fails because
I am a newable to code. I also think if there is a building-video could be very usefull to one like me.

I would suggest to use a 32-bit release of Plus toolkit on the navigation device. Run Slicer on another computer, running an up-to-date operating system. Plus can stream navigation data to Slicer using OpenIGTLink.