Echocardiogram time stamp

Hello Everyone,
I’m trying to render an 4D echocardiogram in Slicer3D. The data format is a 3D dcm exported from Qlab software. Please find the attached picture. The volume rendering feature doesn’t show the time stamp feature. And sequence browser wasn’t a help too. Could someone guide me on the same and point out if I am missing out something?

QLAB  2022-06-18 13-49-24 (5)
SLICER VIEW

If you cannot select a sequence browser node in the toolbar (in Select a ...eBrowser) then it means you have loaded a single volume, not a volume sequence.

I wanted to do the mpr reconstruction of the volume with time stamp. the other format looks like the following. I’m able to simulate the heart beat but it is not a whole volume render. I wanted to simulate the 4th tab in qlab(previous thread) . Am I missing something?

3D-Slicer-502-2022-07-06-18-58-4

Those are just 2D screenshots. You can only get 4D volume Philips via Cartesian export from QLab.

The following data is a 3d dcm taken from QLab software. How can i show the animation for the same? Does the exported data from Qlab pose any issue?

SLICER VIEW

If you cannot select a sequence browser node in the toolbar (in Select a ...eBrowser) then it means you have loaded a single volume, not a volume sequence

What is the file size?

1385386 KB. This is the exported data from Qlab. It doesn’t come in asequence.
file Size

This size is much larger than usual. Normally size of 4D cardiac ultrasound images are about a few 10 megabytes, while this file is more than a 1000 megabytes. It should definitely more than just a single volume.

How long was this recording (in seconds)?
What transducer was used?
Can you share a phantom or anonymized data set (upload to dropbox/onedrive/google drive and post the link) so that we can investigate?

The transducer used is X72 of Philips. The time shown is 4.15 seconds based on the qlab details as shown in the attached picture . Please find the attached google drive link: sample data - Google Drive

You’ve almost got it, the only step you missed was to fix up the invalid DICOM that QLab generates to a valid DICOM image, as described here.

After patching, the image loads correctly:

1 Like

Hello lassoan ,
Thank you for your quick reply! Was not physically well for a week. I will check this method and let you know at the earliest.

Hello Lassoan,

I’m glad to say I was able to obtain timestamp out of the data. I converted the data to nrrd files using philips dicom patcher and it helped in obtaining the timestamp.

1. Also, could you please mention which modules you are using in the video you sent which is titled Preprocessing and Volume rendering.
  2. If we convert the data in nrrd format to dcm using slicer 3d, would it retain the time stamp/ animation. When I tried it, the time stamp/animation was not retained. Am i missing something?
  3. I wanted to visualise the said data in Unity3D. Does slicer3d has any module pertaining to it?

That is the Echo Volume Render module that will be publicly released in SlicerHeart extension from tomorrow.

Timestamps are preserved in the 4D nrrd file (saved by default as with .seq.nrrd extension).

Unity is just a good game engine. It has no built-in support for volume rendering (and just a few paid plugins that can do basic volume rendering), so you won’t be able to view echo volumes in any Unity-based applications without very significant development effort. Instead, I would recommend to use SlicerVirtualReality extension if you want to view 4D echo in virtual reality.

1 Like