@gcsharp thanks for the feedback! I’d rather we hear it now than have disgruntled users or less participation. Hopefully there are enough knobs available to make some of this better. I made a few tweaks that I hope will improve the situation – let me know how this looks to you by email.
I’m including the changes here, so I can remember what I did (and others can change/revert if needed).
- “Takes up way too much space”
- “Only 10 characters visible” -> shorten the title:
email prefix -> “Slicer” (instead of defaulting to
title, which is “3D Slicer Forum”)
- “Stupid and redundant”, “Redundant. I already know the sender”
- removed the following from “User Replied” “User Posted” “User Mentioned” “User Quoted” email templates (in admin settings):
- “Image should be attachment or link”
- I don’t quite know how to deal with this right now, unfortunately. Images are linked out to remote resources (and stripped from very short messages to avoid spam filter). Will investigate.
PS: How can I see which e-mail is tied with which sub-forum?
Email title. After the tweaks I think it should look like [Slicer/Forum feedback] (“Forum feedback” category), [Slicer/Support] (“Support” category), etc. We could potentially shorten names to get closer to the traditional [slicer-users] / [slicer-devel] length people are used to (unfortunately we can’t use the category “slug” in the title yet: https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/4799).