Help with "Grow From Seeds" command

Hi all.

Recently started to work with 3DSlicer and would like to know if it’s possibly for the community to help with some issue I’m having with the “Grow From Seeds” command.

I’m trying the a human heart segmentation using this command, but the end result is merely some small volumes for the different created segments. End result:

Imgur

I’ve created 8 different segments, marked all of them, but when I initialize the “Grow From Seeds” command, all I get is what you see in the upper image.

What can be the cause for this and what other options do I have to do a heart segmentation?

Thank you in advance,
Ricardo

Click “Apply” in “Grow from seeds” effect once you are happy with the preview results.

Thank you so much, will try it out.

Hi again.

Despite Iassoan tip, I couldn’t make it work. The end result is always the one showed in the first message.

I’ve been thinking and looking answers for this, but with no luck. I wonder if the cause can be one of the following:

1. Poor image quality from the TAC scan, making so it’s hard for the software to find boundaries for each region;
  2. Badly defined regions, with some seeds overlapping more than one region?

Thank you,
Ricardo

Which Slicer version do you use?
Do you see any warnings or errors in the application log?
Does the same procedure works if you segment one of the sample data sets?

Hi Iassoan.

First of all, my apologies on taking so long to answer you and thanks again for your quick response.

1. Im using 4.10.1 build;

2. No errors in the log;

3. I’ve made this one tutorial (Whole heart segmentation from cardiac CT in 10 minutes) from start to end and everything went really smooth.

Regards,
Ricardo

Thanks for the update so you still have problems segmenting your data set?

I do. It’s really weird, cause I followed every single step on the tutorial I posted and while working perfectly with the tutorial case, it just doesn’t with mine.

Of course I’m doing something wrong, but can’t figure out what.

Regards,
Ricardo

What is the scalar type and dimensions of your volume? (you can find it in Volumes module / information section)

Hello Iassoan,

I’m gonna redo this case from zero with all the caution and see if I get a different outcome this time. I’ll let you know how it went.

Thank you for the help.

1 Like