Is there a desired system info format for submitting questions?

Hello,
I notice the following presentation of system information preceding or introducing some questions, but found no place here that actually suggests to use it, or provides it as a template:

“Operating system: Windows 10 64bit
Slicer version:4.9.0 2017-10-23
Expected behavior: display the polydata independently
Actual behavior: displayed one polydata in all of scenes.”

Is this a preferred question asking format?

I think posts that follow the described format are created by the application when you click on menu: Help / Report a bug / Post a new topic…

See this page for a description of how to report errors.

Operating system: Windows 8.1 win-amd64 Intel Core i7
Slicer version: 4.8.0 r26489
Expected behavior: a template like this with first two maybe auto-filled out, and last two to be filled out by user
Actual behavior: Help/Report a bug/ Post a new topic yields this: Problem report for Slicer 4.8.0 win-amd64: [please describe expected and actual behavior]

Hmm. There was such a similarity in the format of system & slicer info & question/problem report from some posts that I thought there must be a template somewhere.

What I expected as a template was something like:
Operating system:
Slicer version:
Expected behavior:
Actual behavior:
With maybe the first two filled in, with user filling in & explaining the last two.

When I click on Help/Report a bug/ Post a new topic, what I get is:
Problem report for Slicer 4.8.0 win-amd64: [please describe expected and actual behavior]

Which is just fine, I just wondered why/how there was such uniformity in some posts that followed the above blank format.

So it’s not a problem, I just wanted to make sure I was asking questions in a way that helps you all to get the info you need to easiilest answer them. I think maybe my questions are too simple/naive to actually require the problem report format.

I think you all do a great job of developing and helping people use Slicer!

1 Like

I’m not sure where the multi-line template comes from. I could not make Slicer reliably pre-populate posts with content that contains multiple lines, that’s why currently bug report posts are pre-populated with a single line of text.