MakeModelEffect Error. The file cannot be saved.

Operating system: window10
Slicer version:4.10.2
Expected behavior: Save the cropped as a STL file.
Actual behavior: Fail in the last step.(Model Maker)

Hello.
I want to use this program to extract the ears from the CT as a STL file.
But I keep getting errors in the last step.
Here’s what I did.

1.Load Dicom data
2.Select Modules -> Volume Rendering
3.Select Modules ->Crop Volume(Crop only necessary)
4.Select Modules ->Editor
ThresholdEffect(Select right external ear)
MakeModelEffect

But, failed to apply last step continuously.
This is error massage.

Model Maker standard error:

Model scene file doesn’t exist yet: C:/Users/??/AppData/Local/Temp/Slicer/DEGI_AAAAACDCEECDBBHA.mrml
Error: no model hierarchy node at ID “vtkMRMLModelHierarchyNode1”, creating one
ERROR: cannot open input volume file C:/Users/??/AppData/Local/Temp/Slicer/DEGI_vtkMRMLLabelMapVolumeNodeB.nrrd

Model Maker completed with errors

Model Maker command line:

C:/Program Files/Slicer 4.10.2/bin/…/lib/Slicer-4.10/cli-modules/ModelMaker.exe --color C:/Users/??/AppData/Local/Temp/Slicer/DEGI_vtkMRMLColorTableNodeFileGenericAnatomyColors.txt.ctbl --modelSceneFile C:/Users/??/AppData/Local/Temp/Slicer/DEGI_AAAAACDCEECDDDHA.mrml#vtkMRMLModelHierarchyNode1 --name right middle ear test --labels 136 --start -1 --end -1 --skipUnNamed --smooth 10 --filtertype Sinc --decimate 0.25 --splitnormals --pointnormals --pad C:/Users/??/AppData/Local/Temp/Slicer/DEGI_vtkMRMLLabelMapVolumeNodeB.nrrd

ERROR writing file C:/Users/??/AppData/Local/Temp/Slicer/DEGI_vtkMRMLLabelMapVolumeNodeB.nrrd

Write: Could not open file C:/Users/??/AppData/Local/Temp/Slicer/DEGI_AAAAACDCEECDBBHA.mrml

itk::ExceptionObject (00000062F26FB830) Location: "unknown" File: D:\D\S\Slicer-4102-build\ITK\Modules\IO\NRRD\src\itkNrrdImageIO.cxx Line: 1123 Description: itk::ERROR: NrrdImageIO(0000023C29B78800): Write: Error writing C:/Users/??/AppData/Local/Temp/Slicer/DEGI_vtkMRMLLabelMapVolumeNodeB.nrrd: [nrrd] nrrdSave: couldn't fopen("C:/Users/??/AppData/Local/Temp/Slicer/DEGI_vtkMRMLLabelMapVolumeNodeB.nrrd","wb"): Invalid argument WriteData: unable to open file C:/Users/??/AppData/Local/Temp/Slicer/DEGI_vtkMRMLColorTableNodeFileGenericAnatomyColors.txt.ctbl for writing

ERROR writing file C:/Users/??/AppData/Local/Temp/Slicer/DEGI_vtkMRMLColorTableNodeFileGenericAnatomyColors.txt.ctbl

UpdateFileList: Failed to create directoryC:/Users/??/AppData/Local/Temp/Slicer/TempWriteDEGI_vtkMRMLLabelMapVolumeNodeB

Found CommandLine Module, target is C:/Program Files/Slicer 4.10.2/bin/../lib/Slicer-4.10/cli-modules/ModelMaker.exe ModuleType: CommandLineModule

What should i do? Please help me.

Hi @11127 -

It looks like your login name is not ascii (and alas Slicer can’t handle that). You should be able to manually change the temp directory in the Edit->Application Settings dialog to someplace with only English characters.

Also, you can update to using the Segment Editor and you’ll have a better set of tools and more STL export options.

Best,
Steve

1 Like