Seeding basics for new user

When painting in Segment Editor for “Grow from Seeds”, I understand you paint inside with one layer and circle around with another layer in order to segment out a structure. Without any added specification, how does the program recognize a difference between the two? Also, how to remove a areas that are “over painted”? Sometimes the seeding doesn’t render accurately or with appropriate coverage despite good contrast, and get very ragged organs (eg, liver). How to improve?

The algorithm grows each seed simultaneously. Growing is faster in uniform areas, so boundaries between segments usually end up where there is a big step in image intensity

If wrong segment is grown anywhere then just paint some more seeds there, with the correct segment. Since this usually happens in low-contrast regions, typically you need to paint with two colors, at both sides of hardly-visible boundaries.

For liver segmentation, I would recommend the fully automatic AI-based segmentation tool provided by NVidia AIAA extension.

Thanks Andras. I now better understand how the two colors are used to enhance contrast differential.

The extension requires 4.11.0 but unfortunately it won’t install properly on my PC.

Slicer-4.11 requires a PC not older than about 6-8 years. If your computer is a more recent one and Slicer does not run on it then let us know.

My “PC” is about 5-6 yrs old, but I installed a new motherboard and memory 6 mos ago. The error messages are of the form "The procedure entry point … could not be located in the dynamic link library… "

A post was split to a new topic: Liver visualization in 3D

What operating system do you use?
Can you post the full error message?

Hi @jax200 this is a known issue with today’s Slicer Preview build (Slicer 4.11.0-2020-09-28) which you can follow updates for this issue at Slicer 4.11.0-2020-09-28 does not start successfully · Issue #5208 · Slicer/Slicer · GitHub.

Instead you can download the previous Slicer Preview build for Windows at the following link:
http://slicer.kitware.com/midas3/api/rest?method=midas.bitstream.download&name=Slicer-4.11.0-2020-09-25-win-amd64.exe&checksum=5e26ad3bfdc54f3c95221a583acc655e

Windows 10 x64

error

Thanks Andras - this extension worked quite well for me and look forward to experimenting with it further.