Volume rendering preset for 3D transthoracic echocardiography

Operating system: Windows 10
Slicer version: 4.11
Expected behavior:
Actual behavior:

Good morning,
I’m interested in doing a volume rendering of a 3D transtoracic echocardiography. I was wondering where I can find presets (there are none in the selection box) and which have I would have to use.

Thanks so much
Giulia

There should be many presets in the selection combobox. If you try the latest preview version is it also empty?

Yes, I have the latest version but no presets at all! Is there a place where I can download them?

You shouldn’t need to download anything, they are part of the Slicer installer. The presets combobox should look like this:

What operating system do you use? How did you install Slicer? What does the preset list look like?

I managed to find them just downloading and installing Slicer again, thank you so much!

Do you know which preset I should use for a transtoracic echocardiography?

1 Like

Ultrasound presets have not been released publicly yet. Moreover, we switched to using special depth-encoded coloring for rendering echo volume to match how they are displayed on the cart:

(source: Nam et al., JASE 2020)

I’ll ask when the presets are planned to be released and report back here.

1 Like

Hello @lassoan,

I am also interested in those presets, do you have any news on this topic ?

We’ll release the heart echo volume renderer, leaflet segmentation, etc. modules when our paper describing the platform gets accepted. The paper was rejected from a few journals the reviews we got from the last one is quite promising, so I see a good chance that the paper will be accepted soon and the modules will go public within a few months.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer ! can’t wait to see this module !

Hello @lassoan,

I noticed that the article has been published, congratulations :partying_face: !

When are you planning the release of all those interesting modules?
I am looking forward to use them!

Tommaso

Yes, the SlicerHeart paper has been published, and all the stable modules along with it. They are all in SlicerHeart extension, for Slicer-5.0.3 and later. If you don’t find any particular feature then let us know.

1 Like

Hello @lassoan, I started using SlicerHeart with Slicer 5.0.3 and I am having the following issues:

1. I can’t import the data from a GE Vivid 3 US machine. In Slicer 4.11 I had a GE dll to import them, but know it doesn’t seem to work now.
    I obtain the following warning:
    and when I check the imported file this is what appears:

2. I can create the smoothed volume using the Echo Volume Render, but then I do not have any response from the other parameters of the command:
    3D Slicer Issue
    Moreover, I can’t find the US preset depicted in the article in the Volume Render preset:

Would you please help me?

Thank you very much,

Tommaso

I’ve just tested this in Slicer-5.0.3 and it still works well.
Have you registered the GE loader by running regsvr32 Image3dLoaderGe.dll?

I’ve tested this and it works well for me. Do you see any errors in the application log?

Slicer core Volume Rendering module can do basic rendering without depth-dependent coloring. Some presets are created for this and you can see them in your screenshot (4 presets in the first row in the right; two presets in the second row in the left).

Hi @lassoan,

I checked the reg variable and it seems ok. Can it be some kind of error due to the fact that I have both version 4.11 and 5.0.3 on my machine?
Moreover I get this errors when I import the US data:

Can you help me?

P.s. the US Render now works properly (I don’t know why :sweat_smile:)

That is not a problem, it is completely fine to have any number of Slicer version on your machine.

The error message indicates that the GE image loader is installed and the image passed basic content check by Slicer (seems to be a GE 4D US image), but the loader fails to load the image (cannot decode it). Maybe you can try a different version of the loader. If none of them work then I would recommend to contact GE.