Creating a 3d printable model of lung airways using CT data

I personally have no experience, but here is what ChatGPT has to say:
I’m glad to hear that the Google Drive link was helpful for your airways model project.

To import a 3D model from Slicer into ANSYS Fluent for computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations, you typically need to go through several steps to ensure the model is suitable for CFD analysis. Here’s a general process:

1. Export from 3D Slicer:

• Make sure your model is properly segmented and converted into a 3D surface model in Slicer.
    • Export the geometry from 3D Slicer in a format compatible with ANSYS. The commonly used formats are STL (stereolithography) or VRML (Virtual Reality Modeling Language).
  2. Preparation of the Geometry:

• Once you have your STL or VRML file, you might need to import it into a CAD software like ANSYS SpaceClaim or DesignModeler to clean and prepare the geometry.
    • Operations you might need to perform include removing small features that are not relevant to the flow, repairing any gaps or overlaps in the surface mesh, and ensuring that the model is watertight.
  3. Mesh Generation:

• After preparing your geometry, the next step is mesh generation, which can also be done within ANSYS workbench using tools like ANSYS Meshing.
    • Ensure that your mesh is fine enough to capture the important features of the flow, especially in areas where there are expected to be high gradients (like near walls).
    • Check the quality of your mesh using criteria such as skewness, aspect ratio, and orthogonality.
  4. Setup in ANSYS Fluent:

• Once your mesh is ready, import it into ANSYS Fluent.
    • Set up the boundary conditions, material properties, and physical models (laminar or turbulent flow, heat transfer, etc.) according to your simulation needs.
    • Initialize the flow field and start your simulation with an appropriate time step and convergence criteria.
  5. Simulation and Post-processing:

• Monitor the residuals and other important parameters to ensure the convergence of your simulation.
    • After the simulation is complete, use Fluent’s post-processing tools to analyze the results, visualize flow patterns, and extract relevant data.

Remember, CFD simulations are complex and require careful setup and validation. Ensure that your model boundaries reflect the physical system accurately and that you’ve considered the necessary physical phenomena in your simulation.

If you run into any issues specific to the file formats or steps within ANSYS tools, it may be helpful to consult ANSYS documentation, tutorials, or reach out to the ANSYS user community for advice tailored to the exact version of the software you’re using.

1 Like

Thankyou sir for your response!!!

Thank you very much for the workflow suggestion.
For the step 2. For preparation of the Geometry, can STL files be imported into CAD software like Ansys spaceclaim? I use Solidworks and it seems it does not give you a good detailed model. Besides, would you suggest using Solidworks or Ansys spaceclaim?

I have no personal experience with Ansys SpaceClaim or Solidworks -

Maybe this helps …

1 Like

Thank you very much! You are very responsive. I am curious if you ever try to export file from Slicer and then import to and CAD software. So far, I see Slicer is just able to convert file into meshing file (STL etc.) but CAD.

No, unfortunately I have not used CAD software with Slicer or 3D printing yet - but have imported STL into Meshmixer (free for Windows).