Proposed new Slicer logo

If others agree with Andras, and if the logo is still in play, I can certainly try a spherized version of Candidate A. I’ll wait to hear what you all would like me to do!

Hi,
I am not sure if the logo is still at play, But I really love Rebrand A and would be curious to see a circle version.
Best

Ron

Well, if for no other reason than Ron’s curiosity! I will tinker with a circle version. Cheers! -wen

2 Likes

To round out all the designs we are discussing, please find the full logo versions below with 3D Slicer included (using the Verdana typeface). We have two grays to consider here: the first makes up a majority of the sphere and the other is slightly darker (the shadow on the lower right of the sphere)

Let me know if I should proceed with finalizing this version of the logo or if you plan to move in the other directions that Wendy provided. Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks @SteveJordanKW, it looks very nice :pray:

@wenples Thanks for sharing the additional design, they are very interesting.

Do you you think you could have an updated design for tomorrow Slicer hangout at 10 am ET ? We could then all discuss and reach a final consensus ?

2 Likes

I will do my best, and will send what I have in any case by 10AM tomorrow.
cheers,
wen

1 Like

Thanks @SteveJordanKW for addressing all of my previous points! :pray:

I do like “3D Slicer” being all the same color and the gray that makes up the majority of the sphere looks. It makes that connection between the text and logomark nicely.

I think it will make it a little simpler when dynamically changing the background between Light/Dark to use the same image file instead of having to update the image file based with the appropriate alternating color.

Hi all,
I spent much time today and came up with nothing delightful, just meh, I’m disappointed to say. But I look forward to hearing about the decision you make tomorrow under such a tight deadline. If there is more time for me to throw at andras’ request, let me know and I will continue. Cheers!

Sketches from yesterday. Very meh.
RoughRebrandC

I agree. I still like the cube most

This email is for non-work related messages

I like the cube as well

Very creative @wenples :+1: :pray:

On the dev call today we were hoping we could wrap up the logo discussion and get the new homepage, documentation, and other design projects into play. @rkikinis we can give you veto power but I’m thinking we should go ahead with @SteveJordanKW’s latest design.

3 Likes

All good to me; whatever the logo, Slicer is amazing!
Wen

3 Likes

Hi All,

Shortly @SteveJordanKW will upload the files into a shared Google Folder, in the meantime @faiza.ahmed experimented with the Slicer logo with/without border and it seems the one without the border integrates nicely.

Any preferences ?

0 voters

Et voila, the assets are available in this Google folder

It includes the following files:

3D Slicer_Favicon_Discourse.png
3D Slicer_Favicon.png
3D Slicer_Favicon_Readthedocs.png
3D Slicer_Logo_Horizontal.ai
3D Slicer_Logo_Horizontal.png
3D Slicer_Logo_Horizontal.svg
3D Slicer_Logo_Vertical.ai
3D Slicer_Logo_Vertical.png
3D Slicer_Logo_Vertical.svg
3D Slicer_Mark_128.png
3D Slicer_Mark_32.png
3D Slicer_Mark_64.png
3D Slicer_Mark.png
3D Slicer_Mark.svg

As suggested by @lassoan during this morning community hangout, we will most likely add the assets to a dedicated GitHub repository.

Preview

Mark

• 3D Slicer_Mark_128
    3D Slicer_Mark_128

Logo with text

Favicons

• 3D Slicer_Favicon: 3D Slicer_Favicon

• 3D Slicer_Favicon_Discourse: 3D Slicer_Favicon_Discourse

• 3D Slicer_Favicon_Readthedocs: 3D Slicer_Favicon_Readthedocs

3 Likes

Looks very modern and cool! Thanks everyone, @jamesobutler @SteveJordanKW @wenples for working on this! Slicer 5.0 here we come!

2 Likes

Favicon size (at least on Discourse) is 32x32. We need to use a good interpolation method (there are nice ones in gimp), maybe tune the stroke thickness of lines in SVG.

The “3D Slicer” text looks good on dark background but it looks a bit too pale to me over light background. Maybe it should have similar black stroke around it as the logo itself to make sure it is well visible over both light and dark backgrounds? We could also make the text background-color-independent by placing it on the logo (not exactly like this, but with correct spherical distortion):

3D Slicer_Logo_Horizontal_with_text_s2

and make sure that the curvature of the word Slicer is correct.

I strongly recommend avoiding text on the logo mark itself, it will create far more complications than having a slightly lighter “3D Slicer” typeface. I would consider using a darker gray from the logo for the text; the lower right shading of the sphere might work nicely. It seems like we are slightly split on the idea of having a stroke versus none; with a few more votes for the stroked version. Below are three variations of the logo for one last consideration: black stroke, gray stroke and finally no stroke.

After some discussions with other designers at Kitware, the version without a stroke would be the strongest option for modernizing and simplifying the logo overall, but I understand the idea of staying with a stroked version to be closer to the previous logo. I think the strongest case I can make for the strokeless variant is in Faiza’s landing page mockup; the bottom version has a nice look to it and integrates with the surrounding space of the landing page, whereas the bordered version cuts itself off from the space.

3 Likes

I think the biggest issue with the strokeless variant is that the transparent/dynamic changing color in the interior space of the logo makes it look like a different logo depending on the background. The heavy dark stroke version does make it look a little more cartoony on a light background with the text also being a little weird without the consistent stroke. The white stroke version looks to be glowing on the dark backgound while the text doesn’t have that same look.

Maybe a specific color can be used in the interior spaces and between the colored squares which would then allow dropping the border stroke that outlines the main sphere shape. Or maybe just dropping some or all of these borders and just expand the colors to fill the space.

In general, they all look good. Just pointing out the very little minor things.