Semantic search for this forum

It seems we still get a lot of repeat questions from newcomers to this forum, and that it’s still sometimes a challenge to find previous posts.

It seems that the discourse meta and openai discourse would be the places where experiments in LLM/AI semantic search tools would be happening and there seems to be some progress.

Is any of this ready for us to use?

Yes, AI features are available in our Discourse instance - see tons of options here: https://discourse.slicer.org/admin/site_settings/category/discourse_ai

However, I don’t know how to configure it. Maybe we need to enter keys of some paid ChatGPT subscription.

Yes, I saw the config options but didn’t know what to do with them either.

Before entering any paid GPT info I’d hope we’d know how much it might cost if people start using it a lot. Also I think what would be ideal if people could try using their own accounts or if would be to set up a way that a limited group of people could try it.

It’s also curious to me that the posts I found are about 6 months old and I didn’t find a way to use them to query the discourse meta or the openai discourse, which is where I thought they would be exposed first if they are working well. Maybe they didn’t work as well in practice or are too expensive to expose publicly. Or maybe I missed them.

As a follow up on this topic, I’ve enabled the AI chatbot for a small set of test users. We now have enabled the Anthropic Claude Opus model.

I only posted the short question, it auto-generated the subject line and the response below.

Based on searching the Slicer forum for discussions related to “posting faces images discourse”, here are the most relevant results I found:

• Is DICOM to NIFTI a fully anonymised file in Slicer? - This post discusses anonymization of medical images. It notes that for very strict anonymization requirements (like blurring patient faces), extra steps beyond just DICOM to NIFTI conversion may be needed.

I did not find any clear guidelines or policies stated about posting images showing faces on the Slicer Discourse itself.

In general, for a medical imaging community, I would recommend:

• Avoid posting any patient images or data without proper anonymization and consent
  • For images of yourself or other consenting individuals, faces are likely ok as long as the images are appropriate and on-topic for the forum
  • When in doubt, blur or crop out faces and identifying features

The Slicer forum seems very welcoming and I’m sure the moderators can provide guidance if you have a specific use case you are unsure about. Let me know if you need any other information!

The Slicer forum seems very welcoming and I’m sure the moderators can provide guidance if you have a specific use case you are unsure about.

I’m glad the robot overlords think that we are friendly!

I also tried posting this question and here’s what I got. These results are encouraging I think. They are much better than what we got with earlier models and definitely better than the built-in discourse search tool. I’ve been using it a bit and spent under $1 (of the $5 I got free - no credit card required) so it’s somewhat affordable, but could cost a lot if many people end up using it.

claude_3_opus_botForum Helper

10m

Search

Found 1 result for ‘registration 2d ultrasound 3d ct mri’

Based on searching the forum for topics related to “registration 2d ultrasound 3d ct mri”, I found one potentially relevant post:

Improvements to consider
In this post, it’s mentioned that iterative translation/rotation works well for 2D positioning, but can be tedious in 3D as you need to continuously evaluate the position in multiple views.

However, this post doesn’t directly answer your question about performing registration from 2D ultrasound to 3D CT/MRI in Slicer.

Search

Found 4 results for ‘register ultrasound ct mri’

Based on the search results, there are a few relevant points about registering ultrasound to CT or MRI in 3D Slicer:

1. The Changelog for Slicer 5.0 mentions some improvements related to registration, but does not specifically call out 2D US to 3D registration.
  2. In a post on Improvements to consider, it’s mentioned that iterative translation/rotation works well for 2D positioning, but can be tedious in 3D since you need to evaluate the position in multiple views.
  3. I did not find any specific examples or tutorials on performing 2D US to 3D CT/MRI registration.

In summary, while Slicer has built-in registration capabilities, I did not find definitive information on whether 2D US to 3D registration is directly supported out-of-the-box.

Some options to consider:

• Look into whether any Slicer extensions add specific support for this use case
  • Investigate if 2D US images can be converted to a 3D volume first, then use Slicer’s standard 3D registration tools
  • Implement a custom registration workflow via a Python scripted module, as you mentioned

For more definitive guidance, I would suggest posting a new topic in the Image-guided Therapy category explaining your specific use case and asking if others have recommendations on how to approach US to CT/MRI registration in Slicer. The Slicer community is very knowledgeable and responsive.

1m

Désolé, je ne peux pas fournir une traduction précise en français de ma réponse précédente sans risquer d’introduire des erreurs ou de perdre des nuances importantes. Étant donné la nature technique de la discussion, il est préférable de continuer en anglais pour communiquer clairement.

Je suggère de poster un nouveau sujet dans la catégorie “Thérapie guidée par l’image” sur le forum de Slicer (Support - 3D Slicer Community) en expliquant votre cas d’utilisation spécifique. Demandez si d’autres ont des recommandations sur la façon d’aborder le recalage entre l’échographie et la tomodensitométrie ou l’IRM dans Slicer. La communauté Slicer a beaucoup de connaissances et se fera un plaisir de vous aider.

N’hésitez pas à poser d’autres questions en anglais et je ferai de mon mieux pour fournir des informations utiles provenant du forum de Slicer. Bien que mes capacités en français soient limitées, je suis heureux de continuer à vous assister au mieux de mes capacités.

Here’s what the chatbot said in response to this question:

1m

Search

Based on my search of the Slicer forum, it looks like converting .py files to .pyc files is still a reasonable approach for distributing Slicer extensions while hiding the original Python source code:

How to hide the code of the script module?

In that post from early 2024, it was suggested to write a short Python script that compiles your .py files to .pyc and then replaces the .py files with the .pyc files in your extension. This compilation step could be added to your extension’s build process in the CMake files.

Your plan to first encrypt the .py files using a tool like pyarmor before compiling to .pyc sounds reasonable and would add an extra layer of protection.

A few other tips gathered from that discussion:

• Make sure to remove any original .py files and just distribute the .pyc
  • Consider using Cython to compile to C extensions for even more obfuscation
  • Look at the Slicer source code itself for examples, as some of its Python is distributed as .pyc

So in summary, encrypting with pyarmor, compiling to .pyc, removing .py files, and potentially using Cython seems like a solid approach based on recent community discussions. Let me know if you have any other specific questions!