During the past few months, we have been hard at work crafting what will be the new backend for managing Slicer (or Slicer-based) application and extension packages.
Later today, @Pierre-Assemat and I will meet with our UI/UX designer at Kitware to discuss the next version of the extension manager frontend.
It would be great to collect your input on what worked well and what didn’t regarding the User Interface, this will help drive the requirements for the backend and associated infrastructure.
I created few polls (see below), please consider voting for which pros/cons/feature-request you agree the most. Based on the comment posted, I can definitively update the polls.
What I like about the current Extension Manager:
- full text search capabilities
- link to the documentation
- link to the source code
- short description
- possibility to install/download extension inside/outside of Slicer
- when using the web version, the URL is updated
Issues that impact my user experience:
- not all icon are showing up
- category are hard to read. (why
Virtual Fractureis in
Examples -> Virtual Fracture)
- web version doesn’t show the latest available extension for each platform. You have to enter the revision.
Feature I wish to have:
- sort alphabetically
- markdown support for description
- share on social network
- licenses used in the extensions are not listed. See #2171
- list of modules bundled in the extension not available
- list of funding grants
- include acknowledgments. See #3415
- list of associated publications
- add link between download.slicer.org and the extension manager
- add concept of channels. (possibility to select a channel for installing/downloading extensions uploaded by a user, a lab, …). See #2334
- extension should list their dependencies. See #3696
- google analytics
What type of stats should we keep around ?:
- download count (assuming it is kept around even if the extension is removed)
- download with IP location, date, time, …
- behavior of the user using Google analytics or pixel beacon (which page, how long, which action, …). User could opt-out.
- anonymous “stars” rating
- anonymous “+1”
- identified “+1” (assuming you can login using Google Account / GitHub / …)
- identified “stars” rating (assuming you can login using Google Account / GitHub / …)
- Next generation of the Slicer application and extension package manager:
- Slicer wiki: